Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Please help us! How the US healthcare situation is affecting our household

Sylvia and I have found a nanny housekeeper that we love. She is young (28) and willing to roll up her sleeves and work. She has a green card, with a car, a license. As does her husband. They have a daughter who was born in this country.

We have made her a generous offer of employment. Well above the poverty level for a family of 3 in this country/city. But she is having trouble accepting our offer because her salary would disqualify her family for Medi-Cal. We are not willing to pay her under the table. Her husband is diabetic and they depend upon Medi-Cal for his expensive medications.

We have looked into low-cost medical options for them and there is nothing reasonable due to his preexisting condition. This is beyond infuriating.

We are talking to our business attorneys and accountants but some creative thinking would be appreciated.

2 comments:

Diane Bennett said...

Elena, I can help u with this job as a Nanny/Houskeeper. I speak spanish and drive. The only problem is that I have Hunter but maybe he can serve as a playmate to your kiddos? I just want to help and my husband does not want me to go back to work in the medical field... too much stress for me and that would mean I'd have to put Hunter in a daycare. Let me know what u think.

Unknown said...

Aloha...
What if you pay her up to $5.00 less than what she is allowed to earn and keep medi-cal benefits and then regularly GIFT her with grocery & gas cards to make up the difference...is that allowed?

Things like this make me crazy...it is like an incentive for someone NOT to work!!! This is the kind of thing President Obama needs to hear about!!!