Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Oncologist Day

This is my oncologist.  Marilou Terpenning.




It's not a great picture of her. I scoured the internet looking for one and it took me a while to realize that this was even her.  Imagine her now with long white hair. She looks at least 15 years younger than in this pic. She is quite pretty.

She is also awesome. She talks to me like a human. She gets it that I am a mama and that cancer needs to be part of that life, not take over that life.

She was Ronald Reagan's oncologist. My current orthopaedist (the one dealing with the hip cancers) was also RR's ortho.  I find this ironic. But we all know what happened to RR.  He lived to a ripe old age and died of Alheizmer's.

We are seeing her today at 2:30P (PDT) and we will be formulating my chemo plan. Please keep us and her in your prayers and positive thoughts today.

Please include Dr. Terpenning in your thoughts and prayers for us from now on.  She is of course an essential part of our team.

Oh look, I found a slightly better picture.



7 comments:

Christine Voth said...

Dr. Terpenning is added to the thoughts and prayers hon! :) Kinda funny about the RR thing...but you are right...if the Alzheimer's hadn't gotten him, he would probably still be kicking around. :)

Gabrielle said...

You don't leave my thoughts ever....today, in particular, i will be thinking of you and your team. She is beautiful! Love the last picture.

Julie said...

Thinking of you always.

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting her picture...she looks thoroughly HUMAN and kind as well as BRILLIANT!

Unknown said...

Nice to have faces to picture and think of along with you and the fam! I hope that your appointment was filled with hope. I have some books I love that I am sure you know of, but as I am reading/scanning some of them lately, I wonder if you might find comfort in them. Pema Chodran, When Things Fall Apart or The Places That Scare You... I think I got those right. Interesting perspective on human suffering... Perhaps I will send you a few quotes. Love you babe! Ashlee

mks said...

God bless Dr. Marilou for all that she has done for patients and their families. May she be guided by the wisdom of the ages and the knowledge that medical science has provided as she strives to cure our beloved Elena.

Patty said...

Hey, your blog has a real name! I like it. And I like Dr. Marilou because you like her. She has a good, kind face and I know she'll take good care of you. Keep smiling, even when you don't feel like it. We love you!