Tuesday, February 2, 2010

No more chemo? Now what?

Mark and I woke up with a good feeling this morning.  We were not disappointed with the scan results. Lung tumor (the primary) is smaller, but still active. Liver tumors are 50% smaller in size, but still active. Brain tumors are dead, and bones are actually healing.

Dr. Terpenning's first instinct was to stick with chemo since it's working, but I am having so many chemo-related complications right now and sooner or later I will reach my limit in terms of toxicity.  So we are also looking at Tarceva which is a biological that targets a specific marker in my cancer. We are also looking at clinical trials, specifically one at the University of Miami.

So we've managed to slow this fucker down.  The next goal being to slow it down even more so we can completely kill it.

One of my missions this week is to work on nutrition, vitamin pushes, hyperbarics, eastern medicine, etc.

8 comments:

Gabrielle said...

OMG, Elena. I am SO happy to hear that it is working and you are healing. I hope you and Mark are able to figure out the right path with your doc so that you get rid of this FOREVER. Hugs, my friend.

Jo said...

Thanks so much for the updates. I'm glad you are slowing the cancer down and we all know you are a fighter. HUGS!!!

Laurel said...

Whewwww you my friend ... are a studette. So happy for some good news for you.

nmosquera said...

OK, I will take that!! ((hugs)) Now to find how to starve the rest of those suckers into oblivion.

Te amo, hijita,

NL

Unknown said...

Super news! Keep it up! Thanks for being my friend. Love Ya!

Rosie said...

I'm glad that things are going your way you, Mark, and the kiddies deserve this chance. I'm so glad to know that you are staying positive and kicking it's butt!!!! Love you guy's and hope to see you soon.

vivalashirley said...

You're doing it! I'm proud of you. I think of you often, Elena! xoxoxox, shirley

Jennifer Klaussen said...

Hey there - I'm sure you've checked it out, but....... have you looked at NIH and any studies they might be doing here? I just read a fantastic article about their facility, philosophy, treatments, etc...
Hope you're feeling good - we are amidst the blizzards (as I'm sure you've heard from your family) and we're so tired of snow I don't care if I never see it again, EVER! Hang in there
J