Saturday, October 24, 2009

Deep Vein Thrombosis

I'd been having excrutiating pain in my left leg. My assumption was that it was spreading down from the cancerous hip. Also the left ankle looked swollen all the time.

When I told my oncologist, she said that what was probably happening had to do with my being weaned from a high dose of steroids. The high dose of steroids had probably been preventing swelling and pain that was underlying from the cancer.

But that we should also rule out clots in the leg.

The plan was to go over to the hospital after my chemo on Thurs. to have a doppler of the leg, but chemo ran too long. So we went on Friday. Much to our surprise, there is a large clot in a vein that is running from the back of the thigh down to the calf.  The good news is that it is probably from chemo killing cancer causing "stuff" to break off and accumulate in my veins.  The bad news is that it puts me at risk for a pulmonary embolism if something breaks loose and makes its way to my lungs.

So now I am on blood thinners.  Several days of an injectible (remember Lovenox girls?) and then Coumadin.  I will have to have the Coumadin constantly monitored.  For the time being I have to stay in bed with my leg up, no weight-bearing for about a month (wheelchair), and take it easy.  Not being able to do stuff just makes me depressed.

But it's just part of the fight I guess.

3 comments:

Gabrielle said...

Aw, man, Elena. I choose to only listen to the "good news" in this which is the cancer is going away. I am so sorry that this is so difficult and a continued rollercoaster. I am sure it is frustrating to be in bed (or on the couch) for that long. Hugs!

Ellen said...

I second what Gabrielle said, and can only add my voice to the chorus of support. Keeping you constantly in my thoughts....

Sweetypye said...

You have worked so hard to fight, this is just another step in the road to Ivy's prom ;o) You are doing everything you have to to get to the finish line Elena and as hard as that must be that is what counts! I will keep up those +++++++ thoughts! (((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))